Tuesday, February 9, 2010

eligibility meeting

Okay, so we had the meeting. There was a social worker, psychologist, learning consultant, teacher, nurse, special ed teacher and an intern, me and Adam. It was crowded.

It was also interesting to experience all of it from the parent side. I got there and they just asked me a few questions about Adam's background.

I briefly explained his medical history (the 3 minute version) and the current therapy he currently receives from Early intervention.

Adam was ridiculously shy and cried for a bit. He even spit up some lovely mucous in these scratchy institutional brown paper towels during the meeting.  The only one that gave off an unfriendly vibe was the psychologist. Nothing I can pin point, just a weird vibe.

They said he was eligible based on his apparent issues with socialization and communication and they will test him formally. 3 people will test him. They will call to schedule this (it's already scheduled for March) and I signed consent and an attendance sheet. At the end, one of the women mentioned to me that I seemed rather knowledgeable  about this process.

I responded, but I did not tell her about my own background as a special education teacher or about any workshops I have attended. I just said, "Thank you". I am sure they will at some point ask, and it's not a secret, but I did not want to go in there all bossy or flaunting or anything like that. I got my parental rights book from them and shook hands and hope we are all on the same page. Communication Impaired and Inclusion all the way. Let's hope they agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment