Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year. For real.

So last night, before Phil and I went to sleep, we were talking about some of our past New Year's. Namely the one that stood out was the one 4 years ago or so.

Adam was in Children's Specialized and he had been given his tracheotomy Thanksgiving weekend and it was now New Year's Eve. He was still in the hospital. We were still in the hospital. We had been taking turns since Thanksgiving, never leaving him alone. We were exhausted and overwhelmed. Phil left the hospital when I came at dinner time and he went home to sleep. I made my "bed" (the bench) in Adam's hospital room. I was turned it for the night and trying to get a bit of rest, with the beeps and the oxygen and the suctioning and my little 7 month old baby with a hole in his neck sleeping an arms length away. When what to my wondering eyes should appear but Philip. He had driven back to the hospital and came into the room to kiss me at midnight happy new year's style. It was lovely. We were so tired and cuddled on that little teeny bench making prayers and promises and pacts to do our best. I made lots of deals with myself that year, lots of please if we can get through this, than I'll.... whatever, fill in the blank with a million different things.

Anyway, point is we made it through that New Years and it was one of the best New Year's Eves I ever had. 
Today is the first day of 2012.  If I look back on Reflection on last January (see post)  January 2011 post Adam was doing great.

So, have we made progress in a year?

 YES!  Now, January 2012. He eats lots more than last year. We can add to the list: carrots, tomatoes, cream of wheat cereal, meatloaf,  ham, pizza, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and m and m's.  He drinks 8 ounces of Carnation instant breakfast with whole milk 3 times a day and will ask for water during the day. The meals are less structured. We have cut his night time feeds in half since last year.  We go to therapy every month and will continue to make progress. 

On a personal note. This year, I did my first triathlon and my first half marathon. It was one of those... I promise I will exercise and be healthy I promise I will find time to do whatever I can to avoid being in hospitals again promise that started with a 5k.



Boasting alert: We also managed to do all this, while my main man took grad classes, coached high school football and worked full time (I also work full time). 2011 marked my older son's entry into middle school and I couldn't be prouder of him. of my little guy. and of us. 

Happy New Year! 



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Alaina! You have much to be proud of. Happy New Year! - Kim Wiley

    ReplyDelete