Thursday, August 13, 2009

choosing a daycare

Back in the Spring we began searching for schools/daycare programs for Adam for the fall.

We thought. Do we want him close to home or close to work? We chose close to home. Because...
1. We work 35 miles away. It's a rough commute that we don't even like. It requires a major highway with accidents.
2. We can connect with people that live here, so we can do play dates, parties and know people who might be in elementary school with Adam.
3. We have a cousin, brother and aunt who live in our town and can pick him up if needed.
4. he can continue to have his early intervention therapists. They will go to the school 3 x a week instead of the home and we don't have to figure out what to do in another county.
5. When he turns 3 (in 8 months) he is eligible for public school disabled program and it will be easier if we are already in our town with daycare.

Now let's find a school.

Special schools where we live are only for 3 and up. There is 1 school for disabled kids in the county for under 3. We visited it. It had no outside play area. The babies and toddlers were in wheelchairs or ha limited mobility. it was institutional looking. no colors. kids seemed clean but understimulated. not for Adam.

First we tried Montessori. Matthew went to Montessori school until he was 5 and it was a great fit and a great program. I feel he benefited tremendously. When I revisited a montessori school, I tried to see it through Adam's eyes. It did not seem to fit.

Second we then asked his therapist and case manager for some suggestions. She gave us a list (which I could have gotten off the internet). I called each one and was disgusted by the way I was treated. Here's how it went

Bring-ring
"Hello. Blahblah school how can I help you?"
"Hello. I'm interested in a daycare program the fall. My son will be a bit over 2. Do you have openings?"
"Sure. When would you like to come in to visit?"
"My son has some disabilities, is that a problem?"

Ready. Get ready. Here's the reply.

"well, what's wrong with him?"

and I got
"Um, well we actually only have normal kids here"

and I got
"I don't think this school would be good for him"
Those were the comments I got from way too many schools/daycares.

Third I contacted the 2 colleges/universities that we are lucky to live near. They both were awesome. Actually excited to have a "different" kid. They have lots of students who work at their centers and all would be great. EXCEPT- when I visited both schools, their playgrounds were completely on sand. The entire playground. ( note- sand is not okay when you have a trach)

Fourth I asked all of the parents at the baseball, soccer and basketball games we attended for our 9 year old. Where did their kids go? I found a winner! We called and visited. They seemed open to a "different" child and their playground was not on sand.

Let's hope it works out. We will find out in 2 1/2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I hate the responses from the daycares with the "normal" kids and it happens ALL OF THE TIME. Friggin' idiots.

    ReplyDelete