Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day


Adam went to daycare. I  can't tell you how guilty I feel, how much I worry about him or the scenarios I painted in my mind. I think it went well.



First, we really worked at transitioning him. I took him to the school twice last week and stayed with him for 2 hours each time to play and hang out. Phil took him a third time. Then he went yesterday and today for 1/2 days only. My mom and cousin picked him up on each day around lunch time. Tomorrow he will go for whole day. Then we are off for 4 days. 

The plan is for him to go to school mtw. Thursday he is with my mom and friday he is with a babysitter. This is an expensive option, but trying to send him only 3 days hopefully will offer good rewards without the risks of illnesses that too much daycare might bring.

In the short two mornings he was alone in school he:

  • ate other kids' food off their plates
  • took milk and on purpose dumped it on the floor
  • tried to climb the sink and turned to the teacher and signed "help" as if she was going to help him
  • threw the ball over the rather high fence in the playground and then tried to scale the fence to get it back
  • when another girl was having a tantrum, he walked over to her, laid down on the floor next to her and began rubbing her back                                                                                           

Many of his signs are ignored (he'll go up to a 3 yr old and sign, "give me the truck please" and just get stared at) but i am hopeful that he might begin to say something soon.

Currently he says yes, mamama, and dadada (he does not know that is me or phil he just likes to hear himself make noise b/c it's so knew to him still.)

GO SCHOOL? 

2 comments:

  1. I love that he laid down next to the girl having the tantrum and comforted her. What a good kid. He'll probably surprise you one day and yell to the kid who has ignored his signs "give me that F-ing truck". Ahh, music to your ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the first f- bomb! :)

    ReplyDelete